COVID-19 UPDATE: In order to best serve our clients, we are working virtually and are available by phone or video conference. We will continue to monitor the situation and are committed to maintaining the safest possible environment.


Liberty, Children, Family, Education

What do I do if someone files a Personal Protection Order against me?

On Behalf of | Aug 3, 2020 | Criminal Defense |

An unruly ex-boyfriend or girlfriend files a personal protection order against you for cyberstalking, prohibiting you from contacting her in person or on the internet. What are your options, and how can you solve this situation?

A personal protection order (PPO)  is a court-issued order designed to protect a person from threats, violence, harassment, or a dangerous relationship. Whether a person has familial, domestic, or other ties with you, they can file a PPO against you if they have substantial reasoning.

Terms of a personal protection order vary by case. In Michigan, there are three types of personal protection orders that one can obtain: Domestic Relationship PPOs, Nondomestic (stalking) PPOs, and Nondomestic Sexual Assault PPOs. It is important to understand that a personal protection order against you is NOT a criminal charge. However, if you violate the terms of the personal protection order that is served against you, you may be subject to criminal penalties, and arrested under contempt of court.

In order to defend yourself against a personal protection order, you must seek legal help immediately to file a motion to modify, or terminate the personal protection order. You may have to attend a hearing in order to explain your case and ask a judge to consider your motion.

If someone has filed a PPO against you for reasons that you believe are unsubstantiated or unnecessary, Kirsch Daskas Law Group PLLC is happy to offer you top-notch legal advice. Contact KDLG to talk about your options going forward and how you can face the legal implications of a PPO.